Brakes

At last we have the brake cylinders back from the repair shop. Now if the weather can hold out we might be able to get them back on the truck.20140411_071808
Posted in Progress |

23 March 2014

Removed all the front wheel brake cylinders today. Took a while to get the hubs off as they were held on by the stuck brakes. But after a bit (a lot) of effort, they were off. At least the weather was nice.Will take them up to the brake specialist to get them serviced some time this week. Hopefully they don't take too much to get them back to as good as new.After that will put them all back on and we will be able to move the truck around without causing any brake damage or issues.
Posted in Progress |

Update 21 March 2014

So after our little drive the other day, we have discovered that the front wheel brake cylinders are not really releasing the way that they are supposed to. Meaning that once you apply the brakes, the front ones do not really come off, creating quite a bit of noise.So they will need removing and repairing.But apart from that, as the previous post says we have finally removed the two water tanks that the previous owner added, and the original water tank. They were all pretty rusty, especially the original tank. These will all be taken for scrap metal.Otherwise it is all progressing slowly but surely.
Posted in Progress |

All the water tanks finally gone.

After a great effort, the last of the water tanks have been removed. 20140320_154929 20140320_154946
Posted in Progress |

IT MOVES!

It moves, it still needs a lot of work but at least its moving.
Posted in Progress |

One Tank Gone

The first of two added tanks has been removed, only one left now.1st tank gone 
Posted in Progress |

Update 1 March 2014

Put the brake master cylinder back in today, but took out the cylinders in the rear wheels and the fluid reservoir as they need a bit of work also.So no brakes in the Commer right now.Checked out all the brake lines as well, and it looks like only a very small amount may need replacing.Not long now and it will be movable.
Posted in Progress |

Update 23 February 2014

Got to work getting ready to remove both the added and original water tanks today.During this process we discovered that there is a bit more rust around the locker framework that will need replacing. and that we will need some sort of hoist to loft out the tanks, as even empty they are very heavy.On the plus side, the truck starts on its own still, and we have tested and found that the PTO for the engagement of the pump still works, the clutch still works, and transmission still goes into forward and reverse gears, with the truck creeping forward when clutch released. (this was done very carefully against the wheel chocks, as the master cylinder for the brakes is still not repaired).All together a pretty productive day.
Posted in Progress |

Update 16 Feb 2014

So after a bit of a break we did a bit more on the commer today.  We got the starter motor back in and had her running again. After a bit of playing with the carburetor she even started an her own.We then had a quick look at the brakes and discovered that the master cylinder needs a bit of work as the pedal does not move at all. So we removed that to take a better look at it.The next thing is to get the brakes master cylinder back in an make sure that we can get brake movement right back to the drums. once we have that and can get her moving and stopping, it will go up to the panel shop to have some chassis work done.After that its body work time, as some of the locker framework needs replacing.more soon - hopefully
Posted in Progress |

Engine Running

So after trouble getting the battery charged, we have had the engine running. Its not perfect and needs a bit of a tune-up amongst other things, but it does start.Unfortunately due to a mechanical issue with the ignition switch, the starter motor may have burnt out. Hopefully it is not to bad.
Posted in Progress |